A Tamil Nadu special biryani recipe from ambur region which is very popular in south india mainly in vellore district of Tamil nadu.
Recipe type: Main | Cuisine: South Indian | Serves: 5-6
- 750 gms chicken
- 1 cup oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2-3 cardamoms
- 2-3 cloves
- 4 medium size onions finely sliced
- 4-5 slit green chillies
- salt – to taste
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp dried red chilli paste(6-7 dried red chillies soaked in water and made a paste)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
- 4-5 tomatoes finely chopped
- 1½ cup yogurt/curd
- 1 bunch of chopped coriander leaves
- ½ bunch of mint leaves
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp black pepper corn powder
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp lemon extracted juice.
For boiling rice:
- 500 gms rice(2 glasses approx…)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp caraway seeds(shahi zeera)
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- water for boiling
- Firstly, take a cooking vessel, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add cinnamon sticks, cardamoms, cloves and saute it.
- Add sliced onions, saute, add green chillies, stir well.
- Cook until onions are slightly soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes.
- Add chicken pieces into it and roast well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and roast until chicken leaves oil.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix and cook until they get soft.
- Add dried red chilly paste, mix and cook for few minutes.
- Add beaten yogurt, mix and cook for few minutes.
- Add garam masala powder, black pepper powder, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add little water and cook until the chicken gets tender.
For the rice:
- Meanwhile when the chicken is cooking start preparing the steps of rice.
- For that, take a cooking vessel, add water generously, add salt, cinnamon stick, caraway seeds, cloves.
- Add little oil into the water and boil the water.
- Add the washed rice into it.
- Cook until it is 60-70% done.
- Strain the rice.
For the dum:
- Add the strained rice onto the chicken curry that is cooked.
- Mix the chicken well with the rice.
- Add chopped mint leaves all over the rice and chicken.
- Add a cup of water all over the rice.
- Add ghee and lemon juice all over.
- Add little oil all over the rice.
- Cover the lid tightly with any weight or seal it with chapathi dough.
- Switch on the stove.
- Place a tawa/gridle.
- Dum the biryani for ten minutes on high flame.
- Reduce the flame to sim and dum the biryani for another 15 minutes.
- Serve the biryani with raita or any curry!!!
1.Red chilli powder too can be added in place of dried red chilli paste.
2.If basmati rice is used to make this biryani then soak it for about 30 minutes before adding it to the boiling water or add directly if plain ordinary rice is used.